St. Augustine, Florida

Re: Where is Taylor Sirard?

Hey all! Below is an excerpt from my physical travel journal when I was visiting the historic St. Augustine, Florida. It was just over a month into my travels and the surreal experience of having no obligations and a home-on-wheels was starting to set in. Enjoy!
December 15th, 2017

Sometimes I don't think I realize how monumental this experience is. I feel so free. I am sitting in the sun by the ocean. There's music in the distance, birds flying, and sailboats napping in the bay. My shoes are off. I can stay here, or I can go. My home is parked just a short walk away and I can take it almost anywhere. 

I am looking forward to my holiday in Michigan, but I am ready to get back to this just as much. 

And I'll do what it takes to keep going. I am excited about the possibility of doing a Work Away program. Then, maybe after, I'll make some gas money. Hey, maybe during.

---

In looking for a quiet cafe/restaurant with a view I found the Santa Maria Restaurant; An expansive place built right on the water. The floor suspended above the water like a dock.

Sketch of the Santa Maria in St. Augustine Florida by Taylor Sirard
[Image: Line sketch of the Santa Maria Restaurant.]


Unfortunately, the Santa Maria Restaurant is way past closed. Parts of the walkway leading up to the door are collapsed. The whole railway is missing and floorboards are jutting out like a wrecked ship. The lines of the roof are more often curved than straight. An iron gate blocks off most of the dock.

The sign hangs above, teal and pink. Nothing fancy, just stock advertising letters you see on the interchangeable signs.

This darkened, decaying structure is contrasted, and complimented, by the sunset. In the opposite direction, the reflection of light makes a beautiful color display. All around the Santa Maria Restaurant is blue sky with spotted clouds full of bright orange and pink. Everything above reflects in the water, encapsulating the restaurant in an opal of the most vibrant hues. 
---

Thank you for reading. If you would like to support this blog, and gain access to exclusive and early content head to my Patreon. A huge thanks to everyone who is already a patron. Your support is monumentally appreciated.  

Comments