Finding my Queers

Re: What is Taylor Sirard Doing?

One of my favorite places that I have discovered is Athens, Georgia. It is a small city with a thriving music culture and a vibrant community. I've expounded on my love for this city here. Below is an account of one Friday night in Athens, as described in a letter sent to a friend:

I actually decided to go out last night, so I found a local punk, etc. show at Go Bar. I was there on time, but of course it had not started yet. There was someone painting their nails at a table, alone, by faux candlelight. I asked if I could paint my nails, too. Hannah passed me the black nail polish, and we started to chat. We did the basic get-to-know-you convo. Hannah lives in Atlanta, teaches something called 'metal yoga' [I think, but it was hard to hear over the bar noise], and has friends in the band Tit. We sat together until the first band started sound check.

The vocalist of Gloomreach began, "The Women's Center in Atlanta doesn't serve all women or trans men. So, this song is for all the transgender and non-binary people who just don't have those cis rights!" They yelled the words to every song, and it kicked ass.

After that set I met Chris, who was born in Brooklyn and raised in Atlanta. We talked about traveling and the things one can find in Brooklyn at 4am. Chris and I buddied up quickly and stayed together the rest of the night.

Right before Apparation played, Hannah invited me to a party. We waited until the set was over, then Chris and I took Bernie to the address I had received via text. It was easy to find. Loud music, colored lights, a front porch full of people, and drag queens everywhere. We, unfortunately missed the show but the party was still live.

Entry into the house revealed an abundance of glitter, and at least one hundred beautiful queers looking fresh AF dressed for some type of theme. I found a lovely little sprite with a giant glitter triangle covering their face, who had some glitter on stock in a fanny pack. Chris got some too, applied by someone who kept repeating, "You are SO cute." They held hands after--it was adorable.

Before I left I brushed my teeth in the bathroom, and only considered a shower. I caught word about another party tonight with, "all the gays in Athens" in the words of my informant. Considering going...

With SO much love from Athens,

-Taylor

---

Thank you so much for reading. Click here to become a patron, receive exclusive content, and keep these blog posts coming! 

Comments